This is a mini canapé version of the Hazelnut and Coffee Biscotti recipe which I made at the London Chocolate Festival. It’s super simple so you can make it with the children. I serve this with a hot chocolate dipping sauce. Make the biscotti up in advance and the sauce takes minutes to make so it’s great at the end of a dinner party. You could even make some skewers of fruit to dip in addition to the biscotti. The measures below make about 12.
For the biscotti
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g plain flour
- 150g shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp good quality cocoa powder. For home use I generally get Green and Blacks because it’s widely available in supermarkets.
For the dipping sauce
- 375g tin of condensed milk
- 150g dark chocolate – at least 80% cocoa – add more if you want to make it more chocolatey!
To make them
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and mark two 10cm lines evenly apart.
- Remove any rings because this is gonna get sticky!
- Chop the pistachios roughly in half. Not too small or you won’t get the nice bites through the biscotti.
- Whisk the egg and caster sugar in a large bowl until the texture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in the plain flour and cocoa powder and then add the pistachios. You should have a sticky dough.
- Flour your hands and then split the dough into two portions in the bowl.
- Take one portion and shape it into a log approx 10cm long using the lines on your baking paper to help. It does not look pretty I know but it will taste good.
- Place the log onto the greaseproof paper
- Repeat with the other portion of dough.
- Bake the logs for approx 20-30 minutes. There should be a nice crust on the top.
- Take the baking tray out of the oven and let the logs cool completely.
- Once they are cool, using a sharp serrated knife, cut slices approximately 1 cm wide and then place the pieces back on the baking tray.
- Bake again for 5 minutes on each side to dry them out.
- When you are ready to serve, make the dipping sauce. Heat the condensed milk over a low flame or in the microwave until it’s just bubbling. If it’s too hot, it will split when you add the chocolate.
- Break up the chocolate pieces and then add them to the condensed milk and stir until the chocolate is all melted through.
That’s it! Super easy eh?