Firestorm Runner Bean Curry
Runner Bean Shak/Curry
To make it
- About 15-20 runner beans
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp small black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin and coriander powder
- large clove of garlic, crushed
- juice of half a lemon
- 5 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped coarsely
Serve this with plain basmati rice or with fresh chappatis. My daughters have this with a dollop of plain yoghurt in a pitta bread half. It's a great midweek supper.
- Prepare the runner beans by destringing and cutting into strips about an inch and a half long. It's OK if the beans pop out.
- Heat the oil in a wok or a small saucepan on a medium. Drop a mustard seed into the oil after a few minutes. If it fizzles and pops then it's ready.
- Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the hot oil and then quickly add the prepared runner beans. Be careful because the oil may spit so use the lid of a saucepan to defend yourself!
- Add an eggcup full of water, stir and then add the rest of the ingredients except the lemon juice. Stir again. Use a form vs a wooden spoon so the dry spices do not stick to it.
- Cover and leave to cook for about 15 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Add the lemon juice and fresh coriander, stir through and then turn off the heat.