I had some cherries left over from a lovely Clafoutis I tried from Pascal Aussignac of Great British Chefs. I threw them into these super quick muffins for my girls to have for breakfast.
- 75g unsalted butter
- 250g self raising flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 75g light brown caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Half tin cherries – about 200g
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 100ml juice that the cherries were in
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds for sprinkling
- 12 hole muffin tray
- 12 muffin cases
TO MAKE THEM
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Line the 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases and set aside.
- Melt the butter and set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and stir in the cherries.
- Measure out the cherry juice and milk and then add the egg and beat lightly together. I know. It looks awful!
- Then add the melted butter.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and quickly mix it all together very roughly with a fork until it’s just combined
- Spoon it equally into the muffin cases.
- Sprinkle some flaked almonds over the top.
- Bake for approx 15 – 20 mins til golden brown.
You can throw a handful of chocolate chips or chopped whole almonds too. Lovely for breakfast or afternoon tea with a nice cuppa tea!