This cake is a lovely moist everyday cake. The kind you want to make on a Sunday and keep in the tin for a little slice to cheer you up when you get home.
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g ground pistachios
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250ml plain yoghurt
- 150ml olive oil
- 1 tsp pistachio essence
- 2 medium sized oranges
- 200g icing sugar
- Handful of pistachios to decorate
- Crème fraiche to serve
To make it
- Grease and line a 22cm tin.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the ground pistachios and caster sugar.
- Mix up the eggs, yoghurt, olive oil and zest in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin while you make the syrup by mixing the icing sugar and orange juice together.
- When the cake is cool, make a few holes using a piece of spaghetti or a cocktail stick.
- Gently spoon the syrup over the cake letting it seep into the holes.
- Throw over some shelled pistachios.
- Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and some Orange Pekoe tea or something similarly light.
More recipes using oranges.