If you’re a bit sick of mince pies and stodgy pastry at Christmas, this is a nice light version is super easy to rustle up for unexpected guests.
- About 8 sheets of filo pastry
- 100g mincemeat/mince pie filling
- 1 apple – grated
- Zest of 1 orange
- 50g melted butter
- Icing sugar for dusting
- A 12 hole mini muffin tin
- A damp tea towel
To make THEM
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Mix together the grated apple, orange zest and mincemeat for the filling and set aside.
- Grease the mini muffin tin with melted butter.
- Take two sheets of filo pastry and leave the rest under the damp tea towel.
- Lay one sheet on top of the other and then baste the top later with butter.
- Cut the pastry in half widthways and lengthways. Then cut each half again widthways so you have 6 rectangles.
- Lay one rectangle over another so they make a star shape and then push this into a mini muffin hole.
- Repeat til all the muffin pan holes are covered with a pastry cup.
- Spoon in about 1 tsp of the filling into each one.
- Take another sheet of filo, baste with butter and then cut into 12 strips about 1 inch by 3 inches.
- Scrunch each strip and then pop it on pop of the filling to act as a top.
- Repeat for the remaining cups and then bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin and then on a wire rack.
You can serve these hot or cold with a cream of your choice – I prefer soured cream.