This is a wonderful recipe to have in a jar in the pantry. If you don’t have a pantry the fridge will do! I love charmoulla and have adapted various recipes to get to this one. It’s quick to make in a food processor but I would suggest using a large pestle and mortar as it’s far more satisfying.
- One bunch of parsley
- One bunch of coriander
- 2 quarter segments of preserved lemons
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 250ml extra virgin olive oil
- 200g feta cheese – chopped
To make it
- Combine the preserved lemons (skin and flesh), parsley, coriander and garlic with a little f the olive oil and pound to a paste in a pestle and mortar or a food processor then transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan and then crush to a coarse powder in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the ground cumin to the mixing bowl and stir well.
- Finally add the olive oil and feta.
Store this in a sterlised jar somewhere cold. Ensure that the mixture in the jar is always coated with a layer of oil to prevent mould forming.