I first had veloute at The Walmesley Restaurant in Berkshire. It’s a soup but one that uses egg yolks and or/butter to make it soft and silky. This version has no eggs so is very light and has been reproduced by kind permission of Head Chef Gert Pienaar.
- 1 kilo of Jerusalem artichokes
- 75 grams of butter
- Good pinch of salt
- Around half pint semi skimmed milk
To make it
- Roughly chop the artichokes and then sweat down in a pan with the butter and salt.
- Cover and steam on low heat until artichokes are soft.
- Add enough milk to cover the artichokes and then bring to the boil and blitz until very smooth.
- Pass through a fine sieve and check seasoning. Add more salt to taste.
- Serve with toasted, flaked almonds