Is there something you add to your shopping basket every week? For me it’s avocados. I chose a few ripe ones and a few to leave on the windowsill to ripen over the course of the coming week. I know they are ready when the little stalk at the base pops off easily. They are simply the most perfect food for any time of day. I’m rather an addict.
It could be worse. I could be addicted to something unhealthy like wine. Sadly this is true but my avocado habit must counter that a little? I’m going to list the virtues to prove it to myself more than to convince you.
- They are loaded with potassium – each gram contains 12.5% more that a whole banana. So next time you are hungover reach for the avocado!
- About 3.4g per 100g of an avocado is fibre.
- Eating avocados has positive effects on your mood as they have high levels of serotonin.
- The oils are said to be good for preventing wrinkles.
Four virtuous reasons. I don’t need any more. They taste awesome and I usually start or end my day with one. Here are a few great recipes and there are lots and lots more on my Pinterest board.
Breakfast – Avocados and Mushrooms On Toast by Monica Shaw
Lunch – Cajun Blackened Cod With Avocado Dressing by Jeanne Horak-Druiff
Dinner – Avocado, Kale and Watermelon Salad by Helen Best Shaw
Dessert – Avocado Chocolate Truffles by Elizabeth
There are lots of different types of avocados grown all over the world. I tend to buy hass avocados – the ones with the thick, wrinkly skin. I look for the ones from Peru. I know it’s not quite my allotment but I met the people who bring them to the UK at a food fair recently and they are pretty passionate about their produce. I like passionate people and I certainly like their produce. They ship 151,000 avocados a year to Europe which are grown by just 74 farmers. I’d like to go and hang out with them some day. 300 days of sunshine on their 12,000 hectares of land. Now that is something I could easily get addicted to.
How do you eat your avocados?
- Seeded avocado chilli houmous (no tahini, vegan) (amummytoo.co.uk)
- Cheesy tomato and avocado toasts (amuse-your-bouche.com)
- American style chopped salad (feedingboysandafirefighter.com)
- Chocolate and avocado supershake (tinnedtomatoes.com)