This week I have been experimenting with Lurpak Cooking Liquid. It’s a blend of butter and rapeseed oil that comes in a handy squeezy bottle that sits nicely in our fridge door or lies sideways without dripping all over the place.
I’ll be honest I wasn’t sure at first. Why do I need a liquid butter and oil mix? Let me tell you why.
- I like frying with butter. I love the buttery taste but of course heating butter on its own means it will burn. So I add oil but even after all these years I sometimes get the balance wrong and end up with too little oil or too much so no buttery taste. Lurpak’s Cooking Liquid solves that problem for me so I’ve been using the for pan frying fish, pancakes and starting off risottos or soups.
- I love bakes that use oil because it’s so easy to just pour and mix vs cream butter etc sometimes. But you lose out on the buttery taste that creamed cakes have. This liquid is perfect because you just squeeze the same amount as the oil equivalent in the recipe and get that nice velvety, buttery flavour.
- Roasting is great but do you find you use lots and lots of oil – especially for roast potatoes? Well with this liquid you par boil as usual, toss them in this liquid and bake. Great crust. Great buttery flavour.
So as you can see I have experimented well and would like to give this a proper thumbs up. Pricewise it’s around £3.25 for 500ml in my local supermarket which is about the same as two packs of good quality butter. Not bad value really.
And what did I make? Well. It’s half term and it’s halloween so a spookily, easy carrot traybake was whipped up to inspire the girls with their costume planning.
The recipe is really easy so the girls will make it themselves next week and put their own twist on decoration I’m sure. It’s a ‘one bowl’ cake and the cooking liquid melts really nicely into the mixture resulting in a moist cake which keeps well and tastes nice and buttery too.
Thank you to the team at Lurpak for sending me some cooking liquid to play with and commissioning this recipe.
Have you tried this cooking liquid? What’s your view?
- Carrot, Lime and Pistachio Cake (greedylittlepiggy.com)
- Carrot Cake Pancakes (whataboutthis.biz)
- Halloween Vegan Carrot Cakes With Witchy Avocado Frosting (treeselovehappiness.blogspot.co.uk)
- Carrot Cake Granola (dkscooks.wordpress.com)