Last weekend I had a lot of vegetables in the veg basket but not quite enough of one in particular to turn into a dish. Does that ever happen to you? This easy bake is the answer. Super nutritious and comforting too. There are not many measurements in the recipe below. Just use what you have and what you like.
- Selection of vegetables – I used mainly beetroot – about 6 large uncooked globes and a few arrots and potatoes
- 1 large onions or a few shallots
- 3 cloves garlic – more if you like them
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 large fillet of white fish
- Some fresh herbs to sprinkle on top. I used thyme from the garden.
To make it
- Preheat the oven to 180C and put the kettle on to boil
- Chop the beetroot and vegetables into 1 inch chunks – I skin the beetroot but not the potatoes and carrots.
- Throw them into a saucepan and pour over the boiling water to cover them.
- Bring them to the boil and then cook til just tender.
- Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Drizzle half of the olive oil into a roasting tin and pop the beetroot and vegetables on top.
- Shake the tin so the beetroot and vegetables get a nice coating of oil.
- Season the fillet of fish and place on top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes til the fish is cooked.
- Sprinkle over with some fresh herbs and eat right away.
This is great served with some bread to soak up the juices in the tin or with a side salad of green leaves.