I love this basic cookie mix. It’s a good one for using up odd nuts or pieces of fruit. Pour over some custard and you have an instant dessert
Apple and Pecan Cookies
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g plain flour
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g grated apple - granny smiths work well
- 100g chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 170C
- Line two large baking trays with non-stick baking paper and set aside
- Place the butter and both types of sugar into a bowl and beat together well until fluffy - this takes about 15 minutes in my KitchenAid and you'll need to scrape down the bowl few times.
- Beat the egg and vanilla extract together and add this in til well combined.
- Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder and combine to form a stiff dough
- Add the grated apple and chopped nuts and stir til well combined.
- Spoon out the mixture onto the baking sheet - about 1 level tbsp per cookie spaced a few centimetres apart.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned. They will still be soft when you remove them from the oven, so allow to cool for 20 minutes or so, as they will firm up too.